[olug] USB Hub works, CDR doesn't

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.com
Tue May 20 14:36:33 UTC 2003

Mike Hostetler [mailto:thehaas at binary.net] wrote:
> I had a CD-RW working not too long ago.  I then recently
> purchased a USB
> card reader (since I got a digital camera -- see my post a few months
> ago ) and now I can't get my cd-rw to be recognized.  I
> haven't taken out
> any modules, but it's just gone.

Here at work we purchsed and external USB CDRW.  Linux and WinXP(Note1)
saw it just fine if directly connected, but when the HUB was used -- so
he could keep his other devices attached -- the CDR "vanished" under
both.  We chalked it up to a cheap USB hub problem -- it works fine with
his keyboard, mouse, and iPaq.

Dan

Note1: If the CDRW was left attached to the system when rebooting WinXP,
it would hang on shutdown and required a power cycle (remove the AC
power and laptop battery).  Linux didn't have these issues.  Probably
the custom driver for the CDRW...