[olug] Reduce Directory Size

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Mon May 19 14:47:44 UTC 2003

Howdy,

I discovered this morning that my /var/log directory had grown to 18 Meg,
mostly due to many thousands of mgetty.log.ttyS0.* entries.  I found a
great perl script to clean out the files, but now I'm left with a rather
large directory structure that I would like to reduce in size.

Here is what the directory looks like:

drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root     19300352 May 19 09:13 log

Here is where I found the perl script to help clean the dir:

http://rattler.cajuninc.com/pipermail/pbml/2003-February/000095.html

One way I thought about was to drop to runlevel 1, make sure the
syslog daemon isn't running, move /var/log/ to /var/oldlog, create a new
/var/log folder, and move the proper files back from /var/oldlog and go
back to runlevel 3.

Is there another way to do this? Will running e2fsck on the filesystem
reduce the directory size?  Is there a switch that is used?

Any way to tell mgetty to stop all the logging?

This box is headless, with Serial Console enabled.

Jon L.

--
 [ Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net         ]
 [ ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl               ]