[olug] Gentoo Announcement : Gentoo Games & America's army gamecd

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Fri May 16 18:35:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:26:58PM -0600, Jay Swackhamer wrote:

>  Gentoo has announced the creation of Gentoo Games, Inc.
> http://www.gentoogames.com
>
>  a gaming technology company created to deliver innovative Linux-based
> game technologies to the public. To kick off this new initiative, we are
> also announcing a full version of the very popular (Linux exclusive)
> America's Army military combat simulation on a self-booting Gentoo
> GameCD.  To download the cd go to http://www.gentoo.org

I'm not surprised by this.  I'm a loyal Gentoo user, but not much of a
gamer (an occasional Quake session, or perhaps Frozen Bubble).  Gentoo
has seemed to be courted the Linux gaming niche for a while, according to
their updates from Linux shows.  And it makes sense -- Gentoo is a
tweaker's paradise, and who else in the computer realm tweaks more than
gamers do?  They want to get all the performance out of their machines as
they can.

Also note that Gentoo is a like Debian in the fact that it isn't a
company -- just a bunch of volunteers (though I think they have some
secret corporate backing from someone . . .perhaps IBM).  So they can
afford to get into the Linux gaming market -- they aren't there to make
money anyway.

Just my $0.02 . . .

-- mikeh