[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Thu May 15 14:19:03 UTC 2003

I'd love to talk about the UPS software stuff.  Unfortunately, the June
meeting won't work for me, as I'll have Jury Duty that week (I've
postponed it once) - so I'm not sure if I'll have time to put anything
together.

All of my APC UPS units have been resurrected by replacing the batteries.
My SmartUPS 900 has four batteries.  The unit is old enough that it does
not have the convenient battery door, and I had to take the entire unit
apart.  Replacement batteries were $80 from Batteries Plus.  They'll last
about two years, the same as I have encountered with half of our APC units
here at work (we have a total of 11 of various sizes)

The smaller units I have are the 300 and 280 - both had batteries that
only cost $20-$30 bucks.  Very economical to replace.

Back in 1998 I bought a CyberPower UPS because it was cheap ($45).  When
that thing blew a year later, I heard it from across my apartment (at 4 AM
too!).  I heard a pop, then a small fizzing noise.  It blew my 'power
center' under my monitor, and fried the inside of the UPS.  Luckily, I got
the hardware unplugged quickly enough.  There wasn't any severe weather
that day, go figure.  So, that was enough of a reason not to get anything
other than an APC - I might get a Liebert unit if I had a choice, but they
are not as prominent in the US for Home Office.

Jon L.

--
 [ Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net         ]
 [ ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl               ]