[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Thu May 15 03:49:01 UTC 2003

Yes they are one use items.  How to tell if they have been used once is
hard to do.  Black burnt markings? Not necessarily.  Almost all equipment
sold in Europe has to be tested for immunity to line surges as low as 1kV.
 The US doesn't apply this standard.  More than likely the cheap power
strips won't stop anything under 6-10kV surge.  More expensive power
strips will stop 1kV surges.  Some of this energy is just absorbed by
capacitors which heat up if you do this repeatedly.

Utilities usually have a lightning arrestor on the transformer which is
just a rod that is a few inches away from another rod.  The first rod is
directly connected to the incoming power line.  The second rod is
connected to a large wire tied to ground at the bottom of the pole.  They
put protection on this because squirrels fry quickly if they touch both
rods at once. :)  When lightning strikes it has enough energy to jump the
gap and go to ground.  It still creates a surge on the line though (>8kV).
 The farther down the line the smaller the surge.  Close to the strike,
the surge suppressor should trip and you should replace it.  Farther down
the line the equipment can probably handle the surge by itself.

Eric