[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

OBrien, T IrishMASMS at olug.org
Thu May 15 02:53:52 UTC 2003

<quote who="Jesus Cash">
[snipped]

> Also, on the cheaper surge protectors; I had one really cheap one and
> one day I head some crackling and popping. I traced it to the surge
> protector. Through the thin plastic bottom I could see a nice light show
>  going on. Arcs from terminal to terminal and black marks on the
> plastic.  Shut everything down right away and replaced it. I opened the
> surge  protector up and saw bare terminals and nothing much else but a
> small  circuit breaker. After looking the thing over, I notice there was
> no UL  seal. I didn't buy it, in fact I have no idea where it came from.
> I  didn't even think that things like that could be sold in the US with
> out  the UL seal.
[snipped]

When taking some electronics classes at Metro Community College, I swear I
was told that a surge strip was a one use item. It ties one power hit, and
then it is no good. Unfortunately, with most surge strips they do not
indicate that this “one good deal” has happened, and you are now
vulnerable for that equipment connected to that surge strip. So you would
be worse off then, thinking you are protected but in reality you are not.

True?

--
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?