[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Wed May 14 00:01:45 UTC 2003

And now for something completely different ...
http://www.lightningstalker.com/weather/lightningstalker/gallery/

This guy takes great pictures of lightning.

About nine years ago I was living in Northern Italy in Aviano.  I was
chief of small computers for the base and owned the base email system
(then an AT&T 3B2 running SVR5 Unix).  It was in the midst of the heavy
spring thunderstorm season that we lost our big UPS.  It took several
weeks to find a replacement battery (the combination of slow government
logistics and the Italian economy).

About that time I received a Best Ferrups ad that had an 8x10 photo of a
fantastic lightning strike in Southern Florida.  To this day it hangs on
my office wall, labeled "How to Find a 3B2 in the Dark".  We were sure
glad to get that UPS working again!

Bob