[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Tue May 13 14:39:13 UTC 2003

I didn't grow up in a place that has lots of lightning like the Mid-west,
so I have several questions regarding best practices for lightning and
computers. Just like many of you, I have about 6 computers running 24/7 and
would like to prevent the loss of data and fried hardware as much as
possible. And bear with me here, I'm not very smart when it comes to
lightning strikes.

When a storm rolls in, do you turn off the computer? Rely on a cheap surge
protector? Rely on an expensive surge protector? Unplug everything?

How does the lightning get to my computer? Does it strike the power pole in
the back ally and then travel through the circuits in my house? Or does it
hit my house directly?

Are lightning strikes common and is it worth getting that OPPD "whole house
surge protection?"

I grew up in Hawaii and the last thing we were concerned with was a bolt of
lightning.

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net