[olug] P4 Servers

Jay Swackhamer Jay at reboottheuser.com
Fri May 9 22:51:13 UTC 2003

> Is anyone running Linux on a Pentium 4 3.06 GHz system?
>
> Is there a big difference between running with 512 MB RAM and 1 GB RAM?

It depends on what types of applications that you use. For video
editing/dvdrip/transcoding the memory would help. If you are going to use
the server for NFS/etc it depends on the size of the typical files served.

I'd use 'top' or some other tool to see if you are using swap/how much/
and how big of a disk buffer you have during normal use.

> Are Promise RAID controllers well supported?

The promise controllers for ATA-Raid are supported, for Serial-ATA-Raid
the Silicon Image boards are supported.

--

Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User