[olug] to X or not to X (on a server)?

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Fri May 9 15:08:02 UTC 2003

For a headless server that requires some X functionality, Xvnc is the
way to go.  The local applications think X is running, the X apps are
remotely available, life is good.

I've run into problems with some Oracle utilities that didn't display
properly on X across a network, they only wanted to run right on a local
X display.  Xvnc solved the problem nicely.

Nick Walter