[olug] (OT) What to do with a VAX

IrishMASMS IrishMASMS at olug.org
Thu May 8 01:46:39 UTC 2003

<quote who="Kevin Lanik">

> There are two VAXen, one is a 4000/400 and the other is a 4000/300. They
> were used in tandem (correct term?) so the 300 will not run without the
> 400 (although the 400 will run without the 300). The 300 was essentially
> an extra cabinet/backplane for storage drives. I doubt this was a stock
> configuration and I don't know what boards are in them for certain but I
> do know that they are DSSI bus and at least one has SCSI b/c that's what
> the external storage tape used. I doubt that I'll try to get them
> speaking together again, and I'll only use the 400 for computing so if
> the PS from the 300 will work for you it's yours (although I'll hang on
> to the cabinet...much smaller than the 11/780
> http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~vance/www/vaxbar.html but maybe a VAX
> minibar?) Anyhow, those are the specs for the most part.
>
>  -Kevin Lanik
[snipped]

Are you sure that these two 400 & 300 were in a cluster, rather than a
tandem? Running clusters was cool stuff, when I was working with our
clustered Vax 11/785's.

The steps as I see so far would be to:
catalog which boards are in them
see what works
storage devices
install BSD
have fun

If you need any help, just give a yell.

--
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?