[olug] Compiling for your PC

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Wed May 7 21:41:22 UTC 2003

>From what I can tell of the configure scripts and the Makefile in the
source directory it pulls the architecture by doing a uname -m or
/bin/arch.  In my case it says i686 but when I actually compile the
program it compiles for i386 which is states right at the beginning of the
 dh-buildsomethingorother command.   The dh-whatever command is called by
apt-get source --build Package.

I got it to successfully compile Kino last night and the .deb successfully
installed.  I would still like to know how to pass the i486 or i586
argument to the configure script through the apt-get command.

I assume this can be done for things like apache and that many people do
it but I for the life of me can't find anything on google that gives a
hint.

Eric