[olug] Compiling for your PC

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed May 7 21:34:39 UTC 2003

On Tue, 06 May 2003 22:24:32 -0500
Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

| > Is it possible to use APT to download the source, compile, then
| > install all in one step?  I know people like Gentoo but I don't want
| > to jump head first into fast flowing currents. :)  I just want to dip
| > my toes in.
|
|Unfortunately not right off hand.  APT is not for people who like to
|compile stuff :)

Sometimes true, I do like the fact that I can apt-get pkgname and have
that installed and running in a minute or so tops.  Waiting for it to
compile and all (gentoo emerge), might make me a little impatient... for
example I apt-get'd KDE 3.1.1 with everything in about 8 minutes.

that other info you found...
apt-get build-dep openoffice.org
apt-get source --build openoffice.org

was what I was thinking, I'd like to try that someday, never really have.
But yeah, I'm not sure how you would pass compiler options (i486) and
optimizations to the apt process though.  Wouldn't that normally be down
in a ./configure script?

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru