[olug] Xbox Linux + MythTV

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Mon May 5 18:43:13 UTC 2003

Has anybody installed linux on an xbox? If so, has anybody used it as a
mythtv front end? I'm looking into the possibility of doing it and
adding a tuner to my main linux box (1.4 tbird known as garfield) for
the back end. Garfield is due for an upgrade this fall, most likely a
dual athlon mp setup, so I should have enough cpu to do 2
capture/encodes at once, while still having a usable machine for other
tasks. I don't really want to build a dedicated machine for the front
end because of 1) cost and 2) noise.

I don't own an xbox yet, and I don't game much. I'm not interested in
playing backups either. I'm thinking the 007 agent under fire hack
would work good. Has anybody done that one? If not, I could pick up an
x-ecuter 2 mod chip and an on-off toggle switch for it if I had to.
I've found some stuff on the mythtv lists saying that the xbox works
good as a front end decoding 400x288 mpeg4. Does anybody know how high
of resolution mpeg4 an xbox can decode without dropping frames?

Another cool thing I'm thinking of doing is trying to get a mythtv
front end going on my powerbook as well. Outside the scope of this list
though.

A $300 pvr ($200 xbox + $50 chip + $50 tuner + existing linux box)
would be pretty neat...

-- Daniel