[olug] mod_gzip?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Mar 28 19:14:56 UTC 2003

At Fri, 28 Mar 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Adam Haeder, said:
> Does anyone use mod_gzip on their apache servers? Any comments/thoughts
> about it?

I've been using it on two web servers for a couple of years now, and
I've been extremely pleased.  For text heavy sites, you can see a
noticeable difference, particularly for modem users.

And these days, with CPU being dirt cheap, and bandwidth somewhat less
so, mod_gzip can save you money, too.  My own limited testing has shown
that mod_gzip seems to extract a very small performance hit, and neither
web server has had any trouble with excess load since installing it.  If
you are worried about CPU usage, you can set things up to cache the
compressed files, or even setup a few scripts to pre-compress your
files, and serve those up when available.

For the past year or so, it's even been able to compress dynamic content
from other modules, such as mod_php.