[olug] share a folder rw, but not deletable?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Mar 27 09:19:58 UTC 2003

Ok, I just must be going blind or stupid... or possibly just simply
getting things mixed up.  I was referring to the "i" attribute (chattr) as
a sticky bit when in fact it is not, but rather the "immutable" attribute.
 As Thom pointed out on the thread, the "t" permission (chmod), or "sticky
bit", on the file is probably what I was really looking for... as
directories like /tmp are set with a sticky bit so everyone may read/write
to the dir but not delete the dir itself.

thanks for all the insights and discussions guys...

|"William E. Kempf" <wekempf at cox.net> wrote:

||These are extended attributes, not ACLs.  The 'u' (undeletable)
||attribute might be useful in this case, however?
|
|Hrmm.. I must have missed that.  I did try the 'i' (sticky bit) but that
|did not let me modify files within the directory... that 'u' may be
|exactly what I really was looking for -- but missed?  It makes since an
|attribute like that should be available.

|- Thanks