[olug] Redhat 8 kernal errata updates

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Thu Mar 27 00:22:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 06:45:42PM +0600, Francis Geiger wrote:
> As a newbie I have been using the Redhat8 up2date package to update my
> system. I have just been clicking on the up2date launcher and installed
> the new Kernel errata changes.  Now the launcher says I need 4 meg to do
> the install. At boot in grub, I see three versions of the kernel listed.
> The latest edition is highlighted.  I just go with the count down and
> all is well. Being new to this system I assume these are copies of the
> entire kernel and I need to remove one or two copies to make room for
> the latest errata.  Am I correct here also how do I remove one of the
> versions without creating problems?   Many thanks in advance Grant

I know very little of how up2date works but if there isn't enough space
for your updates I doubt the problem is in /boot probably more likely it
is under /var or maybe /tmp.  Someone with more experience with RedHat
please chime in.  At any rate take a look of the output of -

$ df -h

which may quickly identify where your space issue resides.  From there
you could use the "du" command to dig a little deeper into the full
partition.

It is always good imho to have at least two bootable kernels accessible
for your system in case one gets hosed.  I'm guessing what might be
causing your space issue is up2date is downloading the .rpm files and
not clearing them out after they are installed.
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)