[olug] Unix Tip: GET YOUR IP-ADDRESS

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Sat Mar 22 16:49:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, David Walker wrote:

> The beauty of it is that it is possible.
>
> Every decent operating system has guru support.
>
> If a user wished to know their IP address they can simply type ifconfig

SIGH... And here I thought this was a Linux list... ;-}

BTW - ifconfig has been deprecated as a kernal IPvx interface since kernel
2.3.7 back in 1998 or so.

Even Redhat is now using the netlink interfaces (ip and cousins)

Oh - and one other bit of trivia - CIDR is standard with dotted decimal
netmasks deprecated since 2.3.7 along with those stupid colonic virtual
interfaces (ie: eth0:0 etc)

Funny thing since RH has both DM and AC on staff that it took them so long
to switch. Eh - I'll go back into lurk mode now...

> On Thursday 20 March 2003 01:43 pm, William E. Kempf wrote:
> > Unix Guru Universe said:
> > > Type this simple command at the unix-prompt
> > >
> > > ifconfig | grep "inet addr" |  grep -v "127.0.0.1" | awk '{print $2;}' |
> > >  awk -F':' '{print $2;}'
> >
> > *chuckles*
> >
> > While as a developer I love the power behind these "little tools piped
> > together", it's exactly this sort of attitude ("Type this _simple_
> > command", emphasis mine) which continues to lead me to think Linux is for
> > the Gurus, and not Mom and Pop.

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street