[olug] large files

Vincent vincentr at cox.net
Sat Mar 22 16:27:35 UTC 2003

                             Ext3           ReiserFS    XFS                 JFS
File system max     16384 Gb  17592 Gb   18,000 Pb+     32 Pb
File size max          2048 Gb    1 Eb*          9,000 Pb         4 Pb

The 2.4 kernel has a limit of 2048 Gb for a single block device, so no file system larger than that can be created at this time
(without patching the standard kernel). This restriction could be removed in the 2.5.x development kernel, and there are patches
available to remove this limit, but as of 2.5.29, the patches haven't been officially included yet.

The largest block size supported on ia32 is 4Kb.

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-10/jfs_05.html