[olug] Unix Tip: GET YOUR IP-ADDRESS

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nol.org
Fri Mar 21 19:45:48 UTC 2003

Sorry, I was not very clear in my sarcasm ;)  But I do find it
interesting when people talk about linux not being for Mom and Pop when
it seems (to me atleast) that Windows really isn't that user friendly
and it pretty counter intuitive.  It could just be my jaded viewpoint,
but I find even some of the simplest tasks complicated under the various
flavors of Windows, not to mention the fact that things keep moving
around with each release.  This isn't a flame against Windows per se,
but when people talk about Linux being not very user friendly I find it
odd given that I haven't found Windows since about 98 to be all that
user friendly either.

In terms of the original email (from the tip list) I think they should
have described it as getting the ip address for a script instead of just
stating 'at the command line' since who in there right mind would type
the whole thing out just to figure out what their ip address is?