[olug] samba sharing network printers?

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Fri Mar 21 12:21:11 UTC 2003

Brian

Im a little confused on your question here.  Why would you want to setup
samba to share a networked printer, if it's a networked printer, this
usually means it can connect directly to the network without being
attached to a PC as its print server, and Win9x clients can communicated
directly with it.

If you talking about a network attached printer via print server, then
sharing through samba is viable, however if there are no drivers in
linux for the specific printer, it will still spool it, but what you get
out of the printer might not look right.  If it's a postscript printer,
the generic postscript driver in linux usually works.

Trent