[olug] Printing Adventures with a Lexmark 4039

whaisch4 at cox.net whaisch4 at cox.net
Mon Mar 17 03:19:32 UTC 2003

Yay!  I got my Lexmark 4039 10R network laser printer to print from my Mac OS X Jaguar (10.2.4) 867 MHz Powerbook G4, my Mandrake 9.0 AMD 1 GHz Athlon, and my PowerMac 6100/66 PC-Compatable.  I use CUPS IP-based printing on the BSD-based OS X and on Mandrake Linux with the generic HP Laserjet series CUPS PPD file.  I use standard AppleTalk printing on the old 6100.  I couldn't use the Generic OS X driver because it sends PS Level 3 commands and this printer only understands PS Level 1.  Had to download the CUPS tar ball (from http://www.cups.org), extract the PPDs, and guess at which one would work.  The funny thing is that ANY Lexmark 4039 PPD files would not work!  Tried CUPS's, Lexmark's, and Apple's to no avail!  (I even used nmap to see what ports were open on the printer.  Now there's a use for nmap!)  These printers will understand and respond to JetDirect commands so that is a good feature as well.  Anyway, just thought I would share a victory for any one else that may be having trouble with their networked printers.  Later!

-Wm.
whaisch4 at cox.net