[olug] Challenge adding Perl Modules

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Sat Mar 15 23:22:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 02:54:12PM -0800, CM Miller wrote:

> --- ktb <xyf at nixnotes.org> wrote:
<snip>

> > Don't know what to tell you.  I would say your
> > packages are being
> > corrupted on download
>
> Can you shed more light on a corrupt package on
> download?  I've heard of packages that can be trojaned
> and you should check their signatures.

Some rpms have the MD5 stuff built in and you can use the following
to check.

$ rpm -Kv apache-1.3.27-2.i386.rpm
apache-1.3.27-2.i386.rpm:
MD5 sum OK: c67a37d68364338cf03d3b9e9c24eac5

If not you can use -
$ md5sum package.rpm
and then compare the number which should be available at the site from
which you downloaded the rpm.

I've run into other verification schemes from time to time, the
instructions are usually at the download site.
hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)