[olug] Challenge adding Perl Modules

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Sat Mar 15 22:05:17 UTC 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:11:01PM -0800, CM Miller wrote:

> --- ktb <xyf at nixnotes.org> wrote:
>
> And why does my head hurt...too much beer?

And now we get to the real problem:)

> > Why does my toe hurt? ;)
> >
> > What exact module are you trying to install?  Post
> > the error messages you are
> > receiving.
>
> That's the real trick.  There are no error messages
> output when installing rpms, and the only real output
> is the hash marks and %, unless you know something
> that I don't and want to share with the group here.

By default most linux programs don't report a message if the operation
succeeded.

Rpm does report error messages.  Among others -
If there are broken dependencies, you will get error messages telling
you what dependencies need to be installed.  If the program is already
installed, you will be told as much.  You should also get error messages
if you try and install as a non root user.

> >What switches are you using with "rpm"
> > when you are trying to
> > install the module?
>
> Example done as root:
>
> rpm -ivh perl-Tk-a.b-c.i386.rpm
>
> And...nothing...no hash marks/%, just some clocking
> and that is it.  The same if I tried perl-curses
> module rpm as well.

What do you mean by clocking?

I don't have any Red Hat 8.0 systems.  I tried installing the
perl-Curses package for RH 8 at
http://www.bastille-linux.org/perl-rpm-chart.html
on a AS 2.1 system to see if it behaved like a normal .rpm.
It seems to behave.

# rpm -ivh perl-Curses-1.06-4mdk.i586.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        perl-base >= 2:5.8.0 is needed by perl-Curses-1.06-4mdk

Don't know what to tell you.  I would say your packages are being
corrupted on download but you should be getting an error message if
there is a problem with the package.  For example after deleting a line
out of perl-Curses -

# rpm -i perl-Curses-1.06-4mdk.i586.rpm
warning: Expected size:  119850 = lead(96)+sigs(241)+pad(7)+data(119506)
warning:   Actual size:  119839

If you can't get the rpms to install I would try installing from source.
I know you said you didn't want to do that but...
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)