[olug] website news submission

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Mar 14 13:47:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 23:42, ktb wrote:

> > Does anyone know anything about an applet called "LinNeighborhood"?

I know I've tried to use it in the past for my office users and I found
it to be slightly confusing and a bit of a hindrance, honestly.
Now I just use the command line to mount SMB shares.

example (NOTE - this is all one line):
smbmount //hostname_of_winxp_box/c /mnt/hostname_of_winxp_box/c/ -o
username=winxp_username%winxp_password,fmask=644,dmask=755,uid=500,gid=500,ip=winxp_ip_address,debug=0 workgroup=domain_winxp_box_is_on

If you're dead-set on a GUI SMB client, there's also a project called
XSMBrowser done by a guy at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa that
looks pretty good -- never used it though.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/

Hope that helps.

-- Ryan