[olug] website news submission

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Fri Mar 14 05:42:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:10:43PM -0600, Brian Roberson wrote:
> Hi tank,
>     this web post is more suited for the mailing list, I am cc'ing it there as well.
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>

> Looking for help on LinNeighborhood
>
> Does anyone know anything about an applet called "LinNeighborhood"? I have a friend who is trying to setup a network between a PC and a Linux box. He is mainly having trouble with the Samba server, he can see it on the XP box but he cannot access it from the XP box. On the Linux box, having trouble setting up the applet, it keeps asking a message, "getext", then it stops responding. Any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, the XP box needs to be running the professional addition in order
to work with Samba.  If he is using the home addition it isn't going to
work.

Second, if he is using the professional addition there could be a number
of reasons why it isn't working.  There are a couple security policies
on the XP side that need to be tweaked.  Samba needs to be set up as the
primary domain controller.  You need a special samba root account to add
the XP machine to the domain.  You need to add both the machine name and
the user name to the smbpasswd file.... and so on.  Follow the links
below, read though the documentation and if you still can't get the two
boxes communicating post back and let us know.

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-unofficial-multiple.html

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba.html?t=gr,psl=SambaTutorialOverview

hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)