[olug] website news submission

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Fri Mar 14 05:28:07 UTC 2003

|Looking for help on LinNeighborhood
|
|Does anyone know anything about an applet called "LinNeighborhood"? I
|have a friend who is trying to setup a network between a PC and a Linux
|box. He is mainly having trouble with the Samba server, he can see it on
|the XP box but he cannot access it from the XP box. On the Linux box,
|having trouble setting up the applet, it keeps asking a message,
|"getext", then it stops responding. Any knowledge or help would be
|greatly appreciated.
|
|Thank you,
|Tankd4life

The last time I used LinNeighborhood it was an application rather than
some applet that would bind into your Gnome/KDE taskbar.  To access the
samba file shares from the Windows box, check the "security =" tag in the
/etc/samba/smb.conf file (wherever smb.conf is located) and set it to
"security = user".  Then to access the samba shares from a Windows
machine, the same username that is used for Windows must exist on the
GNU/Linux samba server and in samba itself, and the windows logon password
should match the samba user password.

If you log into windows as "bob", add a user "bob" to the GNU/Linux system
with the "adduser" or "useradd" program (must be root to do this)...

# adduser bob

Then create/add a samba user account for bob... (the password given here
must match the one supplied with the windows logon)

# smbpasswd -a bob

for reference, do a "man smbpasswd" and "man smb.conf"

peace, hth

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru