[olug] PPP & a modem

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Thu Mar 13 04:08:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:11:30PM -0600, Brandon Lederer wrote:
> Im going home for spring break.... and my parents dont have Broadband.  Is
> there a nice walkthru to setting up PPP in linux that i can find?  or can
> someone direct me in the right direction?
>

> I have 3 modems to choose from:  All Gateway OEM USRobotics/3COM modems:
>
> One GW Part Number 6000758 -- Winmodem no jumpers.... Red Owl was what it was
> called if i remember right  -- 56K
>
> GWpartnumber MODISA005AAUS -- Its got jumpers - Telepath 28.8 With Voice
> GWpartnumber MODISA008AAUS -- Its got jumpers too -- Telepath 28.8 with voice
> -- same modem almost -- just a newer revision possibly.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can use pppconfig if you're using debian.  Most distributions have a
similar tool.

I'm sure a quick search with google for your modem and linux will let
you know if it is supported.

This page has links to the relevant HOWTOs, supported drivers, etc -
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html#drivers
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)