[olug] Linux Laptop v/s. Apple Powermac

Robert A. Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Sun Mar 9 21:02:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 18:56, Scott Evans wrote:

> > POWERBOOK QUESTIONS
> >
> > 1.  Does Apple's "AirPort" wireless solution play
> > well with non-Apple
> > base stations?
>

> Rob, was far as I know they are... 802.11b is the same
> standard whether its apple or intel.  I also read that

I realize that a standard is supposed to work the same regardless of
implementation but, unfortunately, that is just not always the case.
If there is one thing I've learned after years of watching Microsoft it
is that "standard" is a very *squishy* word when it comes to
corporations.  Some claim to be compliant only to have it turn out that
they are not *truly* compliant (refer to the whole Kerberos fiasco with
MS and Samba).

Not having ever owned a Mac and having very little experience with Mac
users, I wasn't sure how far to trust Apple when it comes to
interoperability.

Thanks for the input.

rob