[olug] Animatrix

Bradshaw Terence tbradshaw at tconl.com
Fri Mar 7 16:26:50 UTC 2003

I had given up on it partially for quite a while, but  when the
announcement was made on Slashdot that the second one was out, I saw that
some people had it running under Linux.  Once I knew it could be done, I
got back on track.  It wasn't difficult once I got all my information
together.  I can write it up when I got home tonight if anyone wants.  I'm
still a Linux newbie, and this was an exciting victory for me.

By the way, the second episode gives me no audio under MPlayer, but it
plays like a champ under Xine... only a tiny bit of audio lag, but it is
so tiny you have to watch for it to even notice.  The first episode plays
the same under both MPlayer and Xine... the video lags behind the audio by
about 12 (not 7) seconds.  The version of Xine I am running is the rpm I
got from freshrpms.net (I run Red Hat 8), nothing special like I had to do
for MPlayer.  The Matrix Reloaded teaser runs great under MPlayer, but the
audio cuts in and out under Xine.  Basically, neither player is the magic
bullet.  They each seem to handle the Sorenson encoded clips with varying
success- the score is tied in my experience so far.

The Animatrix clips are regular Sorenson encoding (Quicktime) except that
they have a JPEG as the first frame.  This JPEG is what throws the
standard version of MPlayer off requiring the patch.  I had to download
the Windows codecs as well.  I'm not sure if Xine came with the codecs
built in, or if it is using the same one I put out there for MPlayer.

Terry