[olug] printing in gnu/linux - argh!

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Wed Mar 5 19:02:23 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:48:05AM -0600, Brian Wiese wrote:
> Does someone know all the magical tricks to make printing work wonderfully
> in gnu/linux, across multiply software applications?
>
> I have CUPS installed and use it to setup my printer just fine, at least I
> know it has a driver and it's got a nice webbased front end to setup my
> printers.  But now when I try to print from Mozilla, Opera, programX... it
> doesn't know anything about my printer?  Is there an easy way to configure
> these programs, or all programs to recognize the printers available
> through CUPS/lpr?
>
> Currently, I just have to print to a postscript file, then 'lpr' that
> file.  Thats just not nice!  With some past gnu/linux installs, much of it
> had been setup already nicely.  I think even SuSE 7.3 and it's KDE
> recognized my same printer and I was able to print from Opera and such w/o
> a problem.

Printing, to me, is the hardest thing to setup, whether its in Windows or
Linux or anything.  It's such a pain.

Try changing the print options in Mozilla, et al (in Mozilla it's Print,
then the Properties button).

If you don't need cups print server abilities, I'd recommend pdq -- it's
fairly painless.
	http://pdq.sf.net

-- mikeh