[olug] printing in gnu/linux - argh!

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Mar 5 17:48:05 UTC 2003

Does someone know all the magical tricks to make printing work wonderfully
in gnu/linux, across multiply software applications?

I have CUPS installed and use it to setup my printer just fine, at least I
know it has a driver and it's got a nice webbased front end to setup my
printers.  But now when I try to print from Mozilla, Opera, programX... it
doesn't know anything about my printer?  Is there an easy way to configure
these programs, or all programs to recognize the printers available
through CUPS/lpr?

Currently, I just have to print to a postscript file, then 'lpr' that
file.  Thats just not nice!  With some past gnu/linux installs, much of it
had been setup already nicely.  I think even SuSE 7.3 and it's KDE
recognized my same printer and I was able to print from Opera and such w/o
a problem.

Anyone willing to present on 'printing in linux' at OLUG? =)

peace, thanks

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart