[olug] Digital Cameras and Linux

Jorge A Paz jpaz at jpaz.com
Tue Mar 4 03:13:15 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 07:52 pm, Mike Hostetler wrote:
> My wife is 8 weeks preganant and, amount the other things that are on
> our list to purchase is a digital camera (don't ask me how I got a tech
> budget in, cuz I'm not sure how!).

Congratulations! (on the kid, and the tech budget!)

> I've done a little research, and the best advice I've found is to find a
> camera in the middle price range.  Does anyone here have any advice?
> What kind of cameras have good quality, good features, and work with
> Linux (the main OS in our house)?

The best way to make sure the camera you buy is supported in linux is to check
the gphoto web site.

http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

They're showing over 300 cameras supported.  I have a Canon PowerShot A20 and
I've been very happy with it.  No problems at all under linux.  I mostly use
the gphoto2 front end gtkam.

Cheers,
Jorge
jpaz at jpaz.com