[olug] Cox and port 25

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Mon Jun 30 12:44:29 UTC 2003

Tim V - DZ said:

> Cox at work customers are effected also.

OK.  I'm always one of the first to say, "I may be confused."  But
please tell me where you came up with your $0.02 worth.  Because here
are my observations:

1.  I maintain mail servers for two different Cox at Work customers.
Neither have been effected by the block.  Both can telnet to port 25 on
any valid mail server.

2.  I called Cox Business customer service and they said that they have
not applied a universal block to port 25 traffic for their business
customers.

    A.  They did say that some businesses mistakenly come up with DHCP
which will give them a residential IP.  In which case, they get the
block.

    B.  They also said that individual spammers will get blocked.

So what gives here?  You're not the only one to say that @Work customers
are also effected.  I just want to know what that's based on.

Bob