[olug] Cox and port 25

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Sun Jun 29 16:26:53 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McCoy" <bob at mccoy.net>
To: "'Omaha Linux User Group'" <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 8:54 AM
Subject: RE: [olug] Cox and port 25

[..snip..]
> Now if you're using Cox at Work and have this issue, I truly apologize for
> mischaracterizing your email and I believe you have a legitimate case.
> Otherwise, I think you're just stuck like the rest of us.
I've got a client who has a Cox at Work connection and it affected them.  You
might be lucky for now.  Anywho, I believe that it was an attempt to rid the
world of some spam.  However, neither ploys like this nor legislation will
stop spam.  It must be done by RFC.  Enforced reverse lookups and POP before
SMTP everything under SSL. This would go along way towards improving the
ham/spam ratio.  Also, defining spam as messages received from unknown 3rd
parties.  If you've done business with a company and they send you email
then it's between you and the company.  There is a difference between cold
and warm contacts.

-Jeff