[olug] Cox and port 25

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Jun 27 13:41:58 UTC 2003

"Nathan Rotschafer (OLUG)" wrote:
> I think we need to protest this...it seems instead of allowing legit access
> they want you to spoof your domain through their servers...how is this a good
> solution???

1) In the event that I decide to spam 1.2 million people from a
harvester program I downloaded, I have to do it through Cox's SMTP
server. Easier for abuse at cox.net to find me and shut me down w/o having
to reconfigure firewalls.

2) In the event that I'm running a Linux server in my home (which I'm
not supposed to do, but I do (sound familiar to anyone else on OLUG?
-grin-) and it gets hacked by some Taiwanese college student, and *they*
try to launch 1.2 million emails from it, they won't be able to. Cox
doesn't have to argue w/ their customers whose machines have been
exploited that yes, they *were* sending spam from their house, even
though the customer didn't have any idea what was going on. The kid from
Taiwan would have to go through Cox's SMTP server, which they probably
wouldn't bother doing, and if they did is (again) easier to shut down.

That's my take on it anyway,