[olug] Future presentation

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sun Jun 22 17:24:24 UTC 2003

Bob McCoy wrote:
> I'm pondering the contents for a future presentation (maybe August or
> September).  I'm looking for input on the "Top 10 things Linux and
> Windows could do or do better together".

I'm currently perplexed by Active Directory and my companies gridlock on
it. What does it do that Samba doesn't? It's just authentication and
file/print sharing, isn't it? If Linux/Samba could be our PDCs and BDCs
(for Win* and Win2000 terminal servers) and not crash / hang on a
regular basis (like our local NT4.0 box), *and* do whatever it is that
Active Directory is supposed to do (if we want it, whatever it is) for
our 38 or so domains, that would be slick...

(We also have a Squid proxy server suffering under 50+ second
authentications because of NT 4.0 38 domain authentication stupidity...
Why doesn't the WinX PDC junk just *work*? Samba has always *just
worked* for me...)