[olug] Installfest Demo System / Serial ATA Info

Brandon Lederer brandonl at hms4emc.com
Fri Jun 20 13:42:02 UTC 2003

Dont know If I would have the _time_ to do a full 3 stage gentoo setup at a
6 hr InstallFest.  Would LOVE to.  Serial ATA Is crazy.  Im pulling my OS
drive off of SATA (with the Serial ATA to Parallel ATA converter) for
performance reasons.  SATA converters are NOT what to use if you are looking
for performance, get a SATA drive.  The current driver (from 2.4.21) when
using SATA to Parallel ATA spews out bogus errors.  Edited it and commented
out the cable checking, and now no errors, just slow performance.  Ill just
switch the drive off of SATA and not care anymore.  That makes installing
Gentoo 10Fold easier anyhow, since Gentoo Live CD did not detect the SATA
Device.

BTW are there Monitors available at the InstallFest?