[olug] U.K. Urged to hold back on open source

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Thu Jun 19 21:21:00 UTC 2003

I think it would depend on the what the corporation does, if its not a
software firm I don't see what the issue would be and if it is a
software firm you would just need to evaluate the impact of using GPL
software there, for instance, when would it not be a good thing to use
gcc or perl in a business?

As for government, I would strongly encourage government funded
programming to be done using GPL software as well as suggesting that the
code be released under the GPL where appropriate, it is my tax dollars
hard at work so I think I should get the maximum benifit out of it (ie
the source code).

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nicusa.com
Director of Development
NIC Labs (PSSG)                        http://www.nicusa.com