[olug] Topic for the next meeting

OBrien, Timothy (olug dot org) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed Jun 18 01:08:10 UTC 2003

The next OLUG meeting is scheduled for July 1st, just a few days after the
install fest. Discussed at the last OLUG “after OLUG” meeting, it was
thought that a back to basics topical presentations would be optimal for
the meeting after an install fest.

That way, someone new comes to the Install fest – we help them with their
computer & learn what Linux is all about; then give them a flier with the
information on our next meeting & how to sign up for the mailing list &
OLUG web site.

Some topic ideas that were discussed were:

- Setting Up Printers
- Samba and Windows Networking
- Email (explain POP3 and SMTP, empower the user with knowledge of the
protocols instead of depending on tech support at some ISP)
- Instant Messaging (Gaim/GnomeICU)
- Rip Audio CD (GRIP)
- PGP
- Burn Audio/Data CD, with tips on backing up important documents
- OpenOffice ('open document exchange')

We would like one or two individuals to volunteer to present on one of
these or any other basic topic for the next meeting. Any takers? We would
like to give a good impression to our Install fest guests and future OLUG
members!

Please let me know ASAP so I can put together the fliers & post it to the
list/OLUG web site.

Remember, the OLUG meeting is the first Tuesday of the Month starting at
6:30 pm. The After OLUG and OLUG planning meeting is held at the Old
Dundee Bar & Grill (4964 Dodge Street Omaha) approximately 15 minutes
after the OLUG meeting is over.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson