[olug] one solution to the SCO source comparison problem

olug olug at phpconsulting.com
Wed Jun 18 14:09:13 UTC 2003

For those watching "Circus SCO" you might find the following of interest.

The problem:
to compare source code from SCO's System V with the Linux source code
tree without ever reading it to see which sections of the source match
exactly.

The solution:

	1. Generate MD5s in each source code tree for sliding 5-line
		blocks of text.
	2. Sort for longest sequential matching MD5's.

Details here:
        http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10061

I though that was pretty clever.  We've already got Linux kernel
source within easy reach.  Anyone on the list have access to
ATT System V source?   ;)

Mat Caughron
PHP Consulting