[olug] old news - but worth noting

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Fri Jun 13 19:32:42 UTC 2003

Looks like we're discussing Windows based end users.

I don't directly need to support users but if I did I would consider rewriting
incoming mails so that any attachments with extentions not on my safe list
would be re-written to a safer extension (i.e. .exe files become .exe.saf).
Then the attachment gets through but the end user needs a brain to make it
execute.

Also, I would rewrite mime types so that if the mime type is not listed as
safe then it is changed to application/octet-stream or
application/unsafe-attachment.

Then if you really wanted to go nuts you could write a small program to handle
.saf files and "application/unsafe-attachment" types and pop up your own
internal company warnings about those attachments.