[olug] The Joy of Vim (was: Perl Debugger)

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Thu Jun 12 20:50:21 UTC 2003

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:04:04AM -0700, CM Miller wrote:
>> Agreed, VIM is awesome.
>>
>> Basically VI with other options that improve on a good
>> idea.  The colors are great.  I've converted over one
>> of my co-workers over from pico to vim and he thanks
>> me everyday.
>
> I'd grab vim and a handy script or two from vim.sf.net, and you can run
> circles around any IDE out there (and use it for all languages!).

But not Emacs ;).

And I can name some features in some IDEs that at least currently don't
exist in either of the "good" editors on *nix.  For instance, the "light
bulb" feature in Eclipse/WSAD, which makes correcting code so quick you
can't figure out how you ever did with out it.  I can name other
features... I'm currently trying to get Emacs up and going with some of my
favorites, such as header/source toggling in C++ code.

--
William E. Kempf