[olug] sparking a flame war.....

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Wed Jun 11 13:18:33 UTC 2003

Slackware didn't really stray from rpm.  RPM's kind of strayed from tgz.
I like RPMs better than tgz.  My biggest beef with RPM and tgz was that
there wasn't really a nice automated way to download and install the
packages.  I always had to use wget to download and then find out the
dependencies and use wget to download them.  Then on the install I had to
make sure I installed them in the correct order.

I'm by no means proficient with RPMs.  I haven't used RH since 7's and
never used Mandrake.

On the Debian side,  I use Synaptic 0.36 for GUI and it is absolutely
wonderful.  I've never run into dependency problems.  I have run into
preconfiguration problems though.  For remote management it is nice to
type one command and the download and install is going.  I'm getting
better with debian package management and right now I want to get good
with one before going in and trying to learn another one.