[olug] Installfest questions

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 20:32:15 UTC 2003

Bob McCoy said:
> Still, the hardest thing for an AOL user to let go of is their email
> address -- theoretically because all their friends know it.  I would be
> more than willing to disassociate myself with aol.com.
>
> AOL users also seemed really hooked on the AOL messenger.  Is there a
> Linux equivalent that allows them to keep up with their "buddies"?

Several.  Gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) is one of the more popular.
Another solution is to install a jabber server (with appropriate gateways)
or connect to a public jabber server using one of a gazillion jabber
clients.  Both of these solutions allow you to communicate not only with
AIM users, but MSN, Yahoo!, ICQ, etc. users as well... all from a single
client.

--
William E. Kempf