[olug] Erros using Zonet KVM Switch

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Mon Jun 9 21:55:45 UTC 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 16:11, CM Miller wrote:

> > IME, I'd say don't use Zonet anything.  Their NICs
> > tend to the flaky
> > side, and their hubs just plain suck (I've got a
> > Zonet 10bT hub sitting
> > right here.  The collision LED lights up anytime
> > there is the slightest
> > bit of network traffic.  During a file transfer,
> > that thing stays
> > solid.)
>
> Really?  I was talking to the dba contractor @ work
> about Zonet and he uses the Zonet hub for his network
> at home, which as a mixture of winjunk/linux/bsd
> boxes.
>
> He claims he has never had a problem with it.

I've used 4 or 5 different Zonet hubs at client sites (purchased at
different times, all from DIT).  Not a one stayed any longer than a
week.  At one site, I used one as a temporary measure to replace a
dying D-Link until I could get a replacement from my supplier.  It
turned out to be not much better than the dying hub.  The only reason I
didn't return the one I have is because I lost the receipt.

> Anyway, so if I were to get another KVM box.  Should I
> look at getting one that is powered, via a power
> brick?  I am thinking of going with a Belkin, but
> getting mixed signals here on the mailing list.

Sorry, I have no real experience with KVMs.

--
Scott Jones
(scott at exti dot net)