[olug] Mandrake 9.1

Jason Mollner jjmollner at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:54:07 UTC 2003

Mike Peterson wrote:
"I use Red Hat because it is supported first on the packages I run and
because it is most similar in my opinion to SCO Openserver that I have been
supporting for many years."

-------------------------------------

I don't know if we can talk to eachother anymore....SCO lover! :)

I had to use red hat at my old job and I have tried both suse and mandrake
but I just can't seem to accept using a system that doesn't have debian or
gentoo style package management.

The concept of "releases" for linux distros really bothers me.  I don't like
the idea of "Red Hat 8.0" and "Red Hat 9.0"  There should just be:

RED HAT -- a collection of packages maintaned and updated by people
at a place called Red Hat.

With apt and emerge, it is possible to never have to install a new system
again, you can just upgrade your distro how you like it forever...so why
do we need releases???  We could leave that to the Windows and Mac
people...

just my .02 cents...