[olug] Dell Inspiron 8100

Jason Mollner jjmollner at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:37:26 UTC 2003

I recently did a dual boot debian/xp on my inspiron 8200.  If you have any
questions, email me.  I got everything working fine except ACPI.  The only
tricky part was getting my radeon mobility 9000 to work with xfree86
4.2.1-7.  I had to fool it into thinking I had an 8500 instead of a 9000.

In my opinion, with Dell, the best approach is to back up your files and do
a new install of xp, turn off all those unecessary xp services, and
reinstall the dell utilities so you can use the special sound/video buttons
on the top.  I'm pretty sure the 8100 comes with a cdrw, so it shouldn't be
too hard to back up personal files and when you reinstall, you can
repartition the xp partition however you want.

Dell also has a tiny partition on the HD that they add so you can suspend to
disk.  If you still want to be able to do that, be sure to leave it there.

Peace,
-- a fellow 1979'er