[olug] Mandrake 9.1

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Sun Jun 8 13:00:29 UTC 2003

Various off/on topics - Just my ramble....

So I decided to install Mandrake to get up to speed for the
installfest... I am so used to server oriented distro's that
make you use your brain when you install... this thing is very
user friendly ; I think I may be changing my opinion of Mandrake.
I used to not like it, but when I thought about it, the reason I
did not like it initially was the fact that it was(is?) solely based
off of redhat with just recompiled i586 packages. I have not hit the
website to really do some digging, does anyone know if this is still
true? I have not been outside the realm of SuSE for over 3 years....
I guess once you get to a comfort point, you just dont want to move.
I must admit, this distro really opened my eyes. I even installed it
over a previous SuSE instal, complete using reiserFS and Mandrake
allowed me to keep the fs's I wanted to  intact, I did however end up
just formatting all partitions except my /home ; it even left them all
reiserFS. - very nice. Does anyone else have any feedback on Mandrake as
compared to other distro's? I must also admit that I have had my head
stuck in an M$ environment and found it much easier to just conform
rather than rebel ; especially when I am the one supporting it. I know,
that sounds like bigotry, however over the last year I have came to a
new level of respect for the term "single seat management" ; It does
work.