[olug] building devel RPMs

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Sun Jul 27 08:55:35 UTC 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 23:51, Eric Pierce wrote:

> Now the question: On my SuSE system, the RPMs on the CDs are always
> broken into 2 matching pairs (ex. alsa & alsa-devel).  Is there
> another command besides a straight 'make install' to just install the
> header files after I've compiled a program?  And a command to just
> install the files necessary to execute the program?

AFAICT, checkinstall just builds one RPM with everything.  If the
Makefile had a "make devel"-type option, then you could pass that on to
checkinstall, but I've never seen that.

Normally, what I do in a case like this (something for which SuSE
doesn't provide an upgrade) is:

1. Extract SuSE's .spec file from the source RPM of the older version to
/usr/src/packages/SPECS
2. Edit it to reflect version changes and any additional wanted/needed
configure options
3. Copy the tarball of the NEW package to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES
4. Run "rpm --bb package.spec"

This should build the main and devel RPMs.

--
Scott Jones
(scott at exti dot net)